Man wanted in Tysons Corner Center shopping mall shooting turns himself in

Placeholder while loading article actions

Police have arrested a man who allegedly fired a gun at Tysons Corner shopping center in a weekend incident that has caused panic among shoppers and workers.

On Wednesday evening, Fairfax County police said Noah Settles a local rapper who also went by the name “No Savage” went to the county jail. Police said on Twitter that he was involved in a “dispute with another group”, displayed a gun and fired several bullets during Saturday’s incident.

No one was shot. Three people were injured as they fled the mall, which was closed for the rest of the day.

Fairfax Police Chief Kevin Davis told a news conference Thursday that the shooting took place after an altercation between two gangs based in southeast DC: the 37th Street Crew, including Settles, 22 years old, is part of, and the Simple City Crew. What caused the dispute is not yet known, Davis said.

Gunfire sparks fear at Tysons Corner Center mall

The incident happened on the second floor of the mall, Davis said, but he did not specify which store. After an initial altercation, Davis said, the two groups went their separate ways. Moments later, he said, Settles fired his gun three times.

Davis said police are still looking for the gun used in the incident and the black Cadillac that Settles used to flee the scene. Davis said police recovered casings from the shooting and found three bullet holes in the mall.

Settles is charged with attempted malicious wounding, discharging a weapon into an occupied building and using a firearm in the commission of a felony. A lawyer for Settles in the Tysons case did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

No one else has been charged, but Davis said he hoped others would provide information. Police were able to identify Settles, Davis said, by sharing surveillance footage with DC police. Investigators are still working to identify others involved in the altercation, Davis said.

DC Superior Court records indicate that Settles was already awaiting trial for possession of firearms, stemming from an arrest near Dupont Circle in northwest Washington in January 2021.

An affidavit of arrest says DC police stopped a black Dodge Challenger in the 1700 block of Massachusetts Avenue NW with an expired license plate, and Settles was in the front passenger seat.

The police said in the affidavit that Settles’ name came up as part of another investigation, and officers searched the vehicle. Police said they found a black Glock handgun under the front passenger seat.

A hearing in the DC gun case is scheduled for July 6. Settles’ attorney in the firearms case, Sweta B. Patel, declined to comment on the case when reached Thursday.

Davis encouraged people to continue shopping at Tysons Corner Center despite the shooting.

“I visited a lot of crime scenes. Is Tysons Corner safe? Of course it is,” Davis said. “It defines life in the National Capital Region. Our commitment is to ensure the safety of people. »

Peter Hermann contributed to this report.